December 18, 2009

My first experience with the shortfalls of academia.

My first experience with the shortfalls of academia.

It was May 5, 1961 and I was in elementary school.
Alan Sheppard sat atop a Redstone Rocket in what was then Cape Canaveral, Florida. I was in Port Orange a scant 35-40 miles down the Intracoastal Waterway, a block or two from the water.

In years to come I stood on my dock and watched the Double , then Triple manned test ships lift from the Cape, often able to hear and feel the roar. I saw every Moon shot from that dock and listened to Uncle Walter telling us about the brave new future.

Back to that morning in 1961, the powers that be had  jammed about 160 of us into the auditorium to look at a grainy, black and white picture on what had to have been a nineteen inch teevee.

When the view was far better in the real world outside.

Things have not improved much in academia.

No comments:

Post a Comment